Positioning is about how you differentiate your product or service in the mind of your prospect.
Positioning is a new approach to communication, advertising and marketing. It is an organized system for finding a window in the mind of your prospect in order to position effectively over there a product – a merchandise, a service, a company, or a person – against its main competitors.
This system is based on the concept that communication can only take place at the right time and under the right circumstances. The mind accepts only that new information which matches its current state. It filters out everything else.
In other words, positioning is a process by which a psychological “anchor” has been placed into the minds of prospects so that they come to choose one specific person or company over another.
Positioning is what you do to the mind of the prospect – you look for the solution of your problem inside the prospect’s mind.
Anyone can use positioning strategy to get ahead in the game of life.
The two most important words to keep in mind in developing a successful customer base are Positioning and Differentiation.
Positioning refers to the way your customers think and talk about you and your company when you are not there. The position that you hold in the customer’s mind determines all of his reactions and interactions with you. Your position determines whether or not your customer buys, whether he buys again and whether he refers others to you.
Everything that you do with regard to your customer affects the way your customer thinks about you.
Positioning Your Business
- The only hope to score big is to be selective, to concentrate on narrow targets, to practice segmentation.
- Positioning is thinking in reverse: instead of starting with yourself, you start with the mind of your prospect.
- Instead of asking what you are, ask what position you own in the mind of the prospect. Get the answer to this question from the marketplace – invest money in market research.
- Changing minds in our overcommunicated society is an extremely difficult task. It’s much easier to work with what’s already there.
- If you have a weak on non-existent position in the mind of your prospect, find a way into the mind by hooking your product, service or concept to what’s already there.
- Don’t be narrow minded. You must look at the big picture, not the details.